IHG Banquet Chef - InterContinental San Diego in San Diego, California
Do you see yourself as a Banquet Chef for our InterContinental San Diego property ?
What's your passion? Whether you're into cooking, shopping or sky diving, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This role will oversee the preparation, plating, and quality of food and beverage items for banquet functions. Responsible for menu planning and development and cost control. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health safety or other compliance requirements.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop new menu concepts. Prepare, test, and cost out new menu items. Maintain updated and accurate recipes and costing of all dishes prepared for banquet functions.
• Oversee methods of preparation, portion sizes, and timeliness of food preparation; control food usage to minimize waste.
• Supervise activities of assigned staff, communicate goals, and assign/schedule work to ensure proper coverage. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
• Recommend and initiate disciplinary or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues. Assist with employee selection, training and development, and performance coaching.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to order supplies and equipment and ensure best prices and quality
o Health Department and other regulatory agencies – regarding safety matters and kitchen inspections
• Assist sales, catering, and banquet staffs with banquets, parties and other special events.
• Ensure that kitchen is prepared for the following day’s work. Ensure that all equipment is in proper operational condition and is cleaned on a regular basis. Assist in determining the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, cooking supplies, and equipment.
• Inspect the cleanliness of the line floor and kitchen stations. Maintain and strictly abide by proper storage procedures and state sanitation and health regulations. Notify Engineering of any maintenance and repairs needs.
• Review the following day’s menus and complete requisitions for food and supplies needed from various storerooms; maintain inventory control procedures.
• Assist in cooking and food preparation as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Primary duty is professional chef work and supervision of other culinary employees in a large full-service, resort, or luxury hotel with high catering/banquet volume typically serving more than 500 people.
Advanced culinary training and three years of experience as a chef, or equivalent combination of education and culinary/kitchen operations experience. Degree or certificate in culinary arts preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Moving about the kitchen
• Handling food, objects, products and utensils
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with subordinates and coworkers.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when giving and receiving instructions, and preparing and documenting recipes.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support is not provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Location: CA-San Diego
Requisition ID: R193788SANHB0