IHG Human Resources Director - InterContinental Downtown Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California
Human Resources Director - InterContinental Downtown Los Angeles
Job Number R148355
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
United States - United States - California - Los Angeles
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Your day to day
• Control expenses within the HR department. Participate in the preparation of the annual operating budget and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel.
• Identify, recruit, and make hiring recommendations for all hotel positions. Screen, interview and test applicants; coordinate background checks/references, and process applicable paperwork, etc. Ensure that company hiring standards, laws and applicable regulations are followed in the application, hiring and selection process. Work with department heads to anticipate and plan for upcoming staffing needs and related budgets.
• Conduct, document and analyze data from exit interviews, turnover statistics, absenteeism reports and etc. to identify trends, training needs, supervisory issues, etc., to improve employee satisfaction and retention.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert General Manager of potentially serious issues.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Candidates and applicants – discuss employment opportunities and conduct interviews.
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Outside counsel – to seek advice on various issues
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Union representatives
• Create programs and events to foster a positive work environment for all employees (e.g. all employee meetings, health fairs, etc.). Administer the employee satisfaction survey in conjunction with Corporate Human Resources. Assist the General Manager and other department managers with developing action plans.
• Support corporate initiatives such as annual merit process, short term incentive process, benefit enrollment and communication, wage and hour surveys, etc.)
• Ensure compliance with employment laws, government agencies, and company policies and procedures (e.g. Occupational Safety and Health Act, EEO, Wage and Hour, Affirmative Action, employee records administration, etc.). Conduct annual compliance/standards self-audit. Communicate company and hotel policies and procedures. Review and make recommendations as appropriate to management to improve HR policies, procedures and practices.
• Support and administer an effective employee relations program. Research and investigate all workplace issues to discover facts, identify potential liability and facilitate resolution. Support and promote the Employee Resolution process.
• Design and facilitate training and development programs. Ensure that all managers and supervisors are trained on the discipline process, performance management process, and related management programs. Coach managers to create a work environment with high morale and productivity. Conduct NEO to familiarize employees with Company standards, policies, procedures, rules and other employee programs.
• Ensure worker’s compensation claims are properly documented and reported. Ensure that there is an active safety committee at the hotel, that safety programs are implemented, and that employees are motivated to follow safety procedures.
• Submit required documentation in response to unemployment claims. Participate in unemployment hearings. Ensure that paperwork is complete and documentation is thorough so the company’s position can be legally and effectively represented.
• In a union environment, may manage labor relations and represent the hotel in grievances, mediations, arbitrations and contract negotiation. Ensure all departments are in compliance with the terms of all collective bargaining agreements.
• May coordinate and administer locally developed specialized recognition programs.
What we need from you
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Communications, or Business Management, plus 4 years of related training experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred. Some supervisory experience also preferred. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Computer programs; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., and Human Resources/payroll systems. ADP/Timesaver experience preferred. Professional HR designation (PHR, SPHR or other) preferred. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Standing and moving around the facility
• Use a keyboard to generate various work-related documents
• Handling objects, files, training materials and equipment, etc.
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with employees, vendors, and corporate human resources and legal staff.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which can include healthcare and dental coverage, disability and life insurance, and a matched 401(k) program. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please click "Apply Online" and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities / Females / Disabilities / Veterans