IHG Safina Restaurant Chef in Houston, Texas
Safina Restaurant Chef
Job Number R191800HOUIT0
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
United States - United States - Texas - Houston
Do you see yourself as a Restaurant Chef for our InterContinental Houston Medical Center? What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or reading good books, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Your day to day
• Assist in developing new menu concepts. Develop, test, and cost out new menu items. Maintain updated and accurate recipes and costing of all dishes prepared and sold in assigned area of responsibility.
• Oversee methods of preparation, portion sizes, and timeliness of food preparation; control food usage to minimize waste.
• Supervise activities of assigned staff, communicate goals, and assign/schedule work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
• Recommend and initiate disciplinary or other staffing/human resource-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues. Assist with employee selection, training and development, and performance coaching.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services. Assist sales, catering, and banquet staffs with banquets, parties and other special events.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to order supplies and equipment and ensure best prices and quality
o Health Department and other regulatory agencies – regarding safety matters and kitchen inspections
• Inspect the cleanliness of the line floor and all kitchen stations. Maintain and strictly abide by proper storage procedures and state sanitation and health regulations. Notify the Maintenance Department of any needed repairs.
• Review the following day’s menus and complete requisitions for food and supplies needed from various storerooms; maintain inventory control procedures.
• Maintain and enforce procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, kitchen inventory and equipment, (2) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste and control costs.
• Assist in determining the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, material and equipment.
• Assist in cooking and food preparation as required.
• May serve as Manager on Duty or perform other duties as assigned.
What we need from you
Completion of a high school diploma or equivalent, plus two years of experience as a chef, or equivalent combination of education and culinary/kitchen operations experience. Degree or certificate in culinary arts preferred.
• This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Moving about the kitchen
• Handling food, objects, products and utensils
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with employees and guests that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when giving and receiving instructions and preparing recipes
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which can include healthcare and dental coverage, disability and life insurance, and a matched 401(k) program. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please click "Apply Online" and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities / Females / Disabilities / Veterans