IHG Director of Catering & Convention Services - InterContinental Houston Medical Center in Houston, Texas
Director of Catering & Convention Services - InterContinental Houston Medical Center
Job Number R147019
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
United States - United States - Texas - Houston
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Your day to day
• Negotiate food and beverage prices, function space, and hotel services within approved departmental booking guidelines. Work closely with Executive Chef on menu design and concepts pricing for catering events.
• Achieve budgeted revenues and personal sales goals. Assist management in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget, and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel. Complete forecasts, plans, and sales production reports.
• Direct the day-to-day activities of the catering team. Advise staff of formal policies and procedures.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with Company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Executive Chef, other sales staff, Banquet Department and/or convention services staff, and other hotel Executive Committee members.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to arrange services
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups)
• Assist clients with menu planning, food and beverage coordination, table arrangements, decoration options, etc. Arrange all details of conventions and or catering events to include room set-ups, staging, lighting, audiovisual, traffic flow, menus, décor, entertainment, group room blocks, VIP services, and approved method of payment.
• Review daily posting of charges, resolve any discrepancies in a timely manner. Follow-up to ensure guest satisfaction.
• Conduct banquet and catering facility tours and entertain clients in accordance with company and property policy.
• Identify operational problems that impact the effectiveness of overall catering sales performance and work closely with appropriate Departments on solutions.
• Establish client base of organizations, associations and commercial business through direct outside sales efforts for the purpose of securing business for the hotel. Accurately produce and/or review all sales contracts, rate agreements, and/or banquet/catering event orders.
• Develop, train and motivate a catering team that is responsible for developing new accounts, maintaining existing accounts, and implementing catering strategies to achieve catering revenue goals and maximize profits for the hotel, while maintaining guest satisfaction. Develop and maintain relationships with key clients in support of food & beverage sales, and catering/banquet services.
• Plan and conduct pre-event and post-event meeting with clients, guests, and catering staff.
Perform other duties as assigned.
May serve as manager on duty when required.
What we need from you
Bachelor's Degree in marketing or related field or equivalent, and 3 years experience in a catering setting or related field, with direct supervisory experience over a sales/catering team, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Frequently standing up or moving within and outside of the facility
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Handling objects
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Ability to travel to attend workshops, tradeshows, conventions, etc.
• May require a valid Driver’s License.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which can include healthcare and dental coverage, disability and life insurance, and a matched 401(k) program. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please click "Apply Online" and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities / Females / Disabilities / Veterans