IHG Director Finance Accounting & Business Support - InterContinental Houston Medical Center in Houston, Texas
Director Finance Accounting & Business Support - InterContinental Houston Medical Center
Job Number R150130
Hotel Brand: InterContinental Hotels
United States - United States - Texas - Houston
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Your day to day
• Manage receivables, payables, credit, payroll and cash handling functions with the accounting department. Implement and maintain acceptable accounting practices and procedures as required by company policy and procedures, generally accepted accounting practices, and as effected by local conditions.
• Prepare financial analyses of hotel operations including variance explanation and make recommendations to ensure the achievement of business goals/targets.
• Use financial analysis, data trends and market information to anticipate needs, identify operating/financial issues, and recommend actions to maximize financial return. Highlight trends that are likely to shape the wants and needs of internal and external customers of the future; lead the organization in exploring business opportunities that create value for the customer while driving profit.
• Develop and implement financial control procedures and systems; ensure compliance to “internal Control Checkup”; maintain documents for audits of hotel accounts; ensure compliance with government regulations; federal, state and local laws; and contractual agreements. Independently comply with record retention requirements.
• Create the annual operating budget for the property and provide analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for property managers.
• Analyze ROI capital projects prior to committing funds and upon completion determine if anticipated results were achieved.
• Maximize cash flow performance of the hotel through controls on inventory, credit and collection, disbursements, deposits and remittances.
• Enforce, document and establish adequate controls for all revenue and expenses and protection of assets, and ensures controls will satisfy or improve the level of guest service.
• Review rates and recommends rate strategy to the General Manager; participates in sales strategy meetings.
• Review of operating equipment stores to avoid unnecessary/excessive purchases and to eliminate (or at least be aware) of obsolete slow moving items.
• Ensure all accounts are reconciled on monthly basis, review and approve those reconciliation’s.
• Serve as member of Executive Committee/Management Team, and work with other management personnel to establish and implement hotel service standards to achieve profitability and efficiency.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication with other departments. Key departmental contacts include hotel department heads in all departments, and Regional Controller to obtain/provide information. Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to provide service, send bills and collect payment
o Vendors – to pay bills or discuss pricing or billing issues; to ensure proof of insurance
o HMG accounting staff – to coordinate financial/accounting information, budget preparation, clarify issues and resolve problems.
o Regulatory agencies – regarding compliance matters
• Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
• Manage day-to-day operations and assignments of hotel Accounting staff, plan and organize work, communicate goals, and schedule/assign work. Advise staff of formal policies and procedures, identifying options and resolving issues. Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Distribute outlook and forecast information as an up to date management tool for operating departments.
• May perform additional accounting management duties such as negotiating hotel space and tenant leases; processing payroll in a decentralized environment; performing asset management duties; providing forecasting and business projections, displacement analysis, preparing government reports, filing tax returns, etc. as needed or requested.
What we need from you
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent and 4-8 years in hotel accounting or audit with at least one year in an Assistant Controller or similar supervisory role, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience. CPA preferred. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Communicating with other people
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Reading abilities are used often in reviewing financial analyses, budgets, and other related reports. Writing abilities are used in compiling these financial reports, as well as to document.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
What we offer
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which can include healthcare and dental coverage, disability and life insurance, and a matched 401(k) program. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please click "Apply Online" and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities / Females / Disabilities / Veterans