IHG Executive Chef - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as an Executive Chef - InterContinental The Wharf ?
What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or spending time with your pet, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will manage the operation of the kitchen(s) including food preparation and quality, physical maintenance, and inventory functions to ensure hotel quality standards and revenue goals are met and food and supply costs are controlled. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health, safety, or other compliance requirements, as well as brand standards and local policies and procedures. May serve as Director of Food and Beverage in his/her absence.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintain updated and accurate costing and documentation of all dishes prepared and sold in the food and beverage operations.
• Participate in the preparation of the hotel’s annual budget and the setting of departmental goals.
• Manage the day-to-day operations and assignments of the kitchen staff, communicate goals, and assign/prioritize work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures with all staff.
• Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Ensure all staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services. Assist sales, catering and banquet staff with banquets, parties and other special events.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to order supplies and equipment
o Health Department and other regulatory agencies – regarding safety matters and kitchen inspections
o Other contacts as needed (professional organizations, community groups, local media)
• Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, kitchen inventory and equipment, (2) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste and pilferage.
• Establish procedures and timeframes for conducting inventory. Determine minimum and maximum stocks for all food, material, and kitchen equipment.
• Ensure that all menu items are prepared and presented according to established recipes and standards.
• Develop menu design and concepts for all food and/or bar outlets, and catering events. Monitor competitors and industry trends.
• Ensure that all kitchen equipment, including but not limited to sinks, stoves, grills, hoods, coolers, freezers, etc., are in proper operational condition and are cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all kitchen areas and related storerooms are cleaned, mopped, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volume and in accordance with sanitation and health department requirements. Notify Engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
• May serve as Manager on Duty or perform other duties as assigned.
Supervises a large number of kitchen employees in a large full-service, luxury, or resort hotel with multiple major food and beverage outlets and banquet facilities with capacity to cater to more than 500 people. May oversee subordinate managers and/or supervisors and professional culinary staff.
Completion of a degree or certificate in culinary arts and five years of experience as a chef, with at least one year in a supervisory capacity, or equivalent combination of education and culinary/kitchen operations experience.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Moving about the kitchen
• Handling food, objects, products and utensils
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company..
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, ordering and receiving inventory, and giving and receiving instructions.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support may be provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R191831WASHC0