IHG Director of Rooms Division - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as a the Director of Rooms Division for our InterContinental The Wharf property ?
What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or karaoke, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team. This challenging role directs the activities of the front office areas and housekeeping departments.
Direct the activities of the front office areas and housekeeping departments to ensure the achievement of established quality and guest service standards and departmental revenue and profit goals. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning hotel emergency procedures, safety, or other compliance requirements, as well as brand standards and local policies and procedures.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in managing hotel revenue generation and maximization through full utilization of company systems, business processes and specifications. Review and approve/deny all discount and rebate requests.
• Achieve budgeted revenues, control labor costs and expenses, and maximize profitability within all areas of responsibility. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel.
• Maintain procedures for security of monies, credit and financial transactions, guest security, and inventory control. Check billing instructions and guest credit for compliance with hotel credit policy.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert General Manager of potentially serious issues.
• Ensure all staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Guest Relations, Accounting, Revenue Management, Sales and Marketing, Catering, Food and Beverage, Housekeeping, and Maintenance.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups, local media)
• Ensure that guest satisfaction data is analyzed and that plans are developed and implemented to achieve established goals.
• Establish and implement procedures to ensure guests receive prompt, professional attention and personal recognition. Ensure guests are greeted upon arrival. Respond appropriately to guest complaints. Establish and implement appropriate service recovery guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
• Oversee front office and housekeeping departments, schedule, plan, and assign work, and develop and communicate departmental strategies and goals. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
• Prepare and submit statistical, performance, and forecast analyses and reports as required.
• Schedule and regularly conduct routine inspections of the front office and public areas and guest rooms and corridors to ensure the appearance and cleanliness of such areas reflects highly on the hotel, brand, and Company. Develop action plans to correct deficiencies.
• Establish par levels for supplies and equipment. Authorize requisitions to replenish shortages and other business supplies for daily business.
• Communicate to appropriate departments all pertinent information related to the expected arrival and departure of VIP’s and other key guests, or other special guest needs.
• Ensure training and procedures are in place for PBX to serve as a central communications point during emergency/crisis situations and that relationships with local fire, police, and emergency personnel are developed and maintained.
• May serve as “manager on duty” as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
This is the top rooms division job in a large full-service, luxury, resort, or major flagship hotel with an extensive range of facilities and services, demanding competitive pressures, and a large number of VIP and key guests. Directly and indirectly supervises a large number of front office and housekeeping employees including but not limited to managers, supervisors, room attendants, laundry attendants, front desk agents, bell-persons, doorpersons, reservationists, concierge representatives, PBX, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Administration, Business Administration or equivalent and four years guest service/hotel experience with two years in a management capacity, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Moving about the hotel and facilities
• Use a keyboard to operate various property management systems, etc.
• Carrying, pushing, or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support may be provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R133887