IHG Director of Human Resources - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as a Human Resources Director for our InterContinental The Wharf property?
What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or karaoke, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will manage Human Resources programs such as recruiting/employment, compensation, benefits, worker’s compensation, labor and employee relations, employee recognition programs and training for hotel employees. Ensure policy compliance, support the Company’s initiatives, and promote a positive employee culture. Maintain confidentiality to the extent possible in all Human Resources-related matters.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Control expenses within the HR department. Participate in the preparation of the annual operating budget and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel.
• Identify, recruit, and make hiring recommendations for all hotel positions. Screen, interview and test applicants; coordinate background checks/references, and process applicable paperwork, etc. Oversee the maintenance of accurate and up-to-date personnel files on all employees. Ensure that company hiring standards, laws and applicable regulations are followed in the application, hiring and selection process. Work with department heads to anticipate and plan for upcoming staffing needs and related budgets.
• Conduct, document and analyze data from exit interviews, turnover statistics, absenteeism reports and etc. to identify trends, training needs, supervisory issues, etc., to improve employee satisfaction and retention.
• Plan and assign work of the Human Resources staff. Advise staff of formal policies and procedures.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert General Manager of potentially serious issues.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include all hotel staff, Corporate Human Resources, and Corporate Legal and HR Shared Services/Hite to Retire.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Candidates and applicants – discuss employment opportunities and conduct interviews
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Outside counsel – to seek advice on various issues
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Union representatives (if applicable)
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups, local media)
• Create programs and events to foster a positive work environment for all employees (e.g. pep rallies, all employee meetings, excitement committees, health fairs, etc.). Support and administer the employee satisfaction survey in conjunction with Corporate Human Resources. Assist the General Manager and other department managers with developing action plans based on feedback. Facilitate feedback sessions.
• Coordinate, support and administer all other corporate initiatives such as annual merit process, short term incentive process, benefit enrollment and communication, wage and hour surveys, etc.)
• Ensure compliance with employment laws, government agencies, and company policies and procedures (e.g. Occupational Safety and Health Act, Equal Employment Opportunity, Wage and Hour, Affirmative Action, employee records administration, etc.). Conduct annual HR compliance/standards self-audit. Communicate and interpret all company and hotel policies and procedures. Review and make recommendations as appropriate to management and/or HMG Human Resources to improve HR policies, procedures and practices.
• Support and administer an effective employee relations program. Research and investigate all workplace issues to discover facts, identify potential liability to the Company, and facilitate resolution. Support and promote the Employee Resolution process. Advise Corporate Human Resources of any potentially serious issues.
• Design and facilitate effective training and development programs for employees. Ensure that all managers and supervisors are trained on the progressive discipline process, performance management process, and related management programs and initiatives. Coach managers to create and maintain a work environment with high morale and productivity. Conduct new employee orientation to familiarize employees with Company standards, policies, procedures, rules and other employee programs.
• Ensure worker’s compensation claims are properly documented and reported. Ensure that there is an active safety committee at the hotel, that safety programs are implemented, and that employees are motivated to follow safety procedures.
• Submit required documentation in response to unemployment claims. Participate in unemployment hearings as needed. Ensure that paperwork is complete and documentation is thorough so the company’s position can be legally and effectively represented.
• In a union environment, may manage labor relations and represent the hotel in grievances, mediations, arbitrations and contract negotiation. Ensure all departments are knowledgeable of and in compliance with the terms of all collective bargaining agreements.
• May coordinate and administer locally developed specialized recognition programs.
• Perform other duties as assigned and may serve as “manager on duty” as required.
This is the top Human Resources job in a large full-service, luxury, resort, or major flagship hotel with extensive facilities and services, a number of major outlets, and high volume catering and convention facilities typically employing 150 employees. Typically manages multiple Human Resources professionals and/or administrative staff, and deals with advanced-level HR issues including labor unions, complex employee relations matters, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Communications, or Business Management, plus 4 years of related training experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred. Some supervisory experience also preferred. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Computer programs; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., and Human Resources/payroll systems. ADP/Timesaver experience preferred. Professional HR designation (PHR, SPHR or other) preferred. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Standing and moving around the facility
• Use a keyboard to generate various work-related documents
• Handling objects, files, training materials and equipment, etc.
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with employees, vendors, and corporate human resources and legal staff.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support may be provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R133752