IHG Director of Engineering - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as a Director of Engineering of our InterContinental The Wharf property?
What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, gardening, shopping or karaoke, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will direct the engineering/maintenance operations of the hotel to ensure the safety and comfort of hotel guests and employees and to ensure compliance with all Brand and federal, state, and/or local regulatory and inspection requirements. May have responsibility for the Loss Prevention function.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Monitor budget and control expenses within all areas of the department. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and Capital plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel.
• Ensure all staff is properly trained and has the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their respective job duties.
• Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with Company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Communicate with all hotel department heads to stay informed of maintenance needs and ensure timely responses to requests.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Contractors – to obtain and review bids
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups, local media)
• Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction.
• Work with corporate product managers, engineers and/or outside architects regarding renovations and other such projects; contact contractors for bids and meet with appropriate construction supervisors to ensure timely completion of projects within budget and establish future maintenance commitments.
• Direct the daily activities of the department. Plan and organize work, communicate goals, and schedule employees to ensure proper coverage. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
• Educate/train employees on current safety issues to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws and safety regulations. Inform management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or hotel assets.
• Oversee the physical operations of the hotel, including maintenance and repair of interior and exterior of buildings, hotel rooms and contents, laundry and kitchen/refrigeration equipment, lighting, heating, air conditioning (HVAC), ventilation, and water treatment systems, and swimming pool-if applicable, etc.
• Ensure the execution and achievement of the hotel’s preventive maintenance program goals (e.g. Holi-Kare, CrowneKare, SuiteKare, etc.).
• Establish and maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security of inventory and assets such as tools, supplies, equipment, furniture, televisions, etc., (2) replenish supplies and inventory in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste.
• May be responsible for determining the security requirements necessary to ensure that hotel property, employees, and guest are protected against theft, crime, and other hazards, and/or manage the relationship with a third party security firm contracted for such purposes.
• May assist with other duties as assigned and may serve as “manager on duty” as required.
This is the top Maintenance/Engineering job in a large full-service, luxury, resort, or major flagship hotel with multiple sites and facilities, a number of major outlets, high volume catering and convention facilities, and a large number of VIP and key guests. Supervises a staff of maintenance/engineering tradespersons with specialized expertise in a field or discipline such as plumbing, carpentry, etc. Oversees subordinate managers and supervisors.
Some college or advanced vocational training plus six years of experience in general building maintenance/ and/or construction and supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Hotel experience preferred. Professional certification and license if required by law.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Frequently standing up and moving about the facility
• Frequently handling objects and equipment to maintain the facility
• Frequently bending, stooping, kneeling, climbing and crawling
• Communication skills, both verbal and written, are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Specialized expertise in plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and carpentry fields. Level 3 EPA Certification, HVAC and refrigeration certificate, licensed plumber and/or journeyman status for electrician and carpenter may be required.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support may be provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R133749