IHG Director Food & Beverage - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as a Director of Food and Beverage - InterContinental The Wharf?
What's your passion? Whether you're into fishing, knitting or just playing catch with the dog, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will direct the food and beverage operations of the hotel to ensure the achievement of established food and beverage quality and guest service quality standards and departmental revenue and profit goals. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health, safety, or other compliance requirements, as well as brand standards and local policies and procedures.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Achieve budgeted revenues, prepare monthly forecast, monitor and control food, beverage and labor costs, and maximize profitability within all areas of the food and beverage department. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans that support the overall objectives of the hotel.
• Develop, implement, and maintain local food and beverage marketing programs for the hotel; participate in and maintain system-wide food and beverage marketing programs and promotions. Monitor local competitors and industry trends. Review and approve menu design and concepts with Executive Chef. Adhere to brand standards.
• Ensure all staff is properly trained on quality and service standards and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
• Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert General Manager of potentially serious issues.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Rooms, Housekeeping, Maintenance, and Guest Services.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Other contacts as needed (professional organizations, community groups, local media)
o May serve as Manager on Duty or assist with other duties as assigned.
• Establish and achieve quality and guest satisfaction goals. Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests to ensure a high level of guest satisfaction.
• Direct the day-to-day activities and assignments of food and beverage staff, ensure proper coverage, develop and communicate departmental strategies and goals, and assign/prioritize work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures with all staff.
• Establish procedures and timeframes for conducting inventory. Determine minimum and maximum stocks for all food, beverage, material, and equipment.
• Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, inventory, and equipment, (2) ensure the security of monies, credit and financial transactions, (3) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (4) to minimize waste and pilferage.
• Ensure that all food and beverage equipment, including but not limited to sinks, hoods, coolers, freezers, etc., are in proper operational condition and are cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all food and beverage facilities including banquet/convention space are cleaned, vacuumed, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volume. Notify Engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
• May recruit, evaluate, and select entertainment for food and beverage outlets and events.
This is the top food and beverage job in a large full-service, luxury or resort hotel. Supervises a large number of employees in multiple major food and beverage outlets and kitchens, and high volume banquet and convention facilities that cater to more than 500 people, and a large number of VIP and key guests. Oversees multiple subordinate managers and supervisors.
Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Management, culinary arts, or related field plus 4 years related experience, including management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Moving about the facilities
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Handling food, objects, products and utensils
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support may be provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R133888