IHG Banquet Manager - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as a Banquet Manager for our InterContinental The Wharf property ?
What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or karaoke, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will oversee the execution of all banquet events to ensure optimum performance, superior guest service, and maximum profitability of all functions. Maintain quality, service, and operating standards as established by the Brand to ensure quality and consistency. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health safety or other compliance requirements.
At Crowne Plaza®, we want our guests to feel able to do their best, achieve their goals and be recognized for their success. To help them we need you to stay One Step Ahead and:
• Create confidence – by being an expert at what you do; by acting and looking the part and adapting your style to match your guests’ pace in all you do.
• Encourage success – by supporting and respecting your guests and their goals; by recognizing them and making them feel valued and important; and offering thoughtful choices to help them feel restored and balanced.
• Make it happen – by being perceptive to your guests’ needs; by taking ownership for getting things done and working seamlessly with others to help guests be successful.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Control departmental labor and expenses. Provide input into the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget.
• Supervise day-to-day activities of the banquet department, communicate objectives, and schedule/assign work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Ensure all staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Housekeeping, Accounting, Maintenance and Guest Services.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Other contacts as needed (professional organizations, community groups, local media)
• Ensure guests are greeted upon arrival. Respond to guest requests and complaints in a prompt and professional manner. Establish and implement appropriate service recovery guidelines according to in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
• Review guest check with client after function and obtain signature.
• Ensure that rooms are set-up and service delivery is carried out according to guest expectations and banquet event order. Conduct pre-function meetings with scheduled staff and review all information pertinent to the service and set-up of groups. Inspect scheduled function areas/rooms, table set-ups, bar set-ups, buffet tables, receptions and coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness and proper layout.
• Meet with Kitchen Staff to review scheduled groups’ menu. Ensure agreement of delivery times, amounts, and arrangements. Coordinate any AV equipment, or other technical needs
• Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of banquet inventory and equipment, (2) ensure the security of monies, credit and financial transactions, (3) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (4) to minimize misuse and breakage of china, glassware, linen, and supplies and to ensure that no re-usable goods are wasted. Establish par levels for supplies and equipment.
• Ensure that equipment is prepared for the following day’s work. Ensure that all banquet equipment is in proper operational condition and is cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all banquet facilities are cleaned, vacuumed, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volumes. Notify Engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
• May handle incoming/outgoing boxes and exhibit materials.
• May serve as Manager on Duty.
• Perform other duties as assigned which include but are not limited to assisting banquet staff with their job functions during peak periods.
This is the top Banquet job in a full-service, luxury, or resort hotel with high volume banquet and/or convention facilities typically catering to more than 500 people. Supervises a large number of employees and may oversee subordinate supervisors.
Some college or advanced food and beverage operations training and two years experience in banquets or food and beverage operations, including one year supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Moving about the function areas
• Handling objects
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and banquet event orders, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R192701WASHC0