IHG Assistant Banquet Manager - InterContinental The Wharf in Washington, District Of Columbia
Do you see yourself as an Assistant Banquet Manager - InterContinental The Wharf ?
What's your passion? Whether you're into climbing, cats or cooking, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will oversee the execution of assigned banquet events to ensure optimum performance, superior guest service, and maximum profitability of all functions. Maintain quality, service, and operating standards as established by the Brand to ensure quality and consistency. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health safety or other compliance requirements. Serve as Banquet Manager in his/her absence.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in controlling departmental labor and expenses. Provide input into the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget.
• Manage the activities of a banquet shift. Schedule and assign work to ensure proper shift coverage.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary or other staffing-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Ensure all staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Vendors – to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
o Regulatory agencies – regarding safety and compliance matters
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, community groups, local media)
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Outlets, Housekeeping, Accounting, Maintenance and Guest Services.
• Ensure guests are greeted upon arrival. Respond to guest requests and complaints in a prompt and professional manner. Make appropriate service recovery gestures according to established guidelines in order to ensure total guest satisfaction.
• Review guest check with client after function and obtain signature.
• Ensure that rooms are set-up and service delivery is carried out according to guest expectations and banquet event order. Conduct pre-function meetings with scheduled staff and review all information pertinent to the service and set-up of groups. Inspect scheduled function areas/rooms, table set-ups, bar set-ups, buffet tables, receptions and coffee breaks for cleanliness, attractiveness and proper layout.
• Meet with Kitchen Staff to review scheduled groups’ menu. Ensure agreement of delivery times, amounts, and arrangements. Coordinate any AV equipment, or other technical needs
• Monitor and maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of banquet inventory and equipment, (2) ensure the security of monies, credit and financial transactions, (3) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (4) to minimize misuse and breakage of china, glassware, linen, and supplies and to ensure that no re-usable goods are wasted. Assist in establishing par levels for supplies and equipment.
• Ensure that equipment is prepared for the following day’s work. Ensure that all banquet equipment is in proper operational condition and is cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all banquet facilities are cleaned, vacuumed, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volumes.
• May assist in reviewing par levels for supplies and equipment and completing requisitions to replenish shortages or additional items needed for anticipated business.
• May handle incoming/outgoing boxes and exhibit materials.
• May serve as Manager on Duty.
• May assist with other duties, including assisting banquet staff with their job functions during peak periods.
Typically supervises a large number of banquet employees in a large full service, luxury or resort hotel with catering and banquet capacity of more than 500 people. May oversee subordinate supervisors.
High school diploma or equivalent and two years experience in banquets or food and beverage operations including one year supervisor experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Some college or formal training in food and beverage operations preferred. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Moving about the function areas
• Handling objects
• Bending, stooping, kneeling
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with customers, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company..
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, banquet event orders, ordering and receiving inventory, and giving and receiving instructions.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R191817WASHC0