IHG Italian Chef in Muscat, Oman
Under the general guidance and supervision of Executive Sous Chef and within the limits of established Hotel policies and procedures, performs all the duties and works given to him. Interacts professionally and in good manners with all F&B outlets, supporting departments, stewarding and service personnel in order to establish a good teamwork; he is fully responsible for the proper efficiency and profitable functioning of the Italian kitchen.
To assist the Chefs with the production and presentation of all dishes which leave the kitchen and to ensure that they are to the five star Intercontinental standard and learn the utmost about the functions within the Kitchen during your time within the hotel. He / she is also responsible for maintaining his / her area of work to the highest hygiene standards and to observe a proper system of food preparation and storage.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts ® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
· Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
· Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
· Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key Job Responsibilities
· Has knowledge of the menu, the food items and goods handled in the area he is assigned.
· Prepares staff rosters as required per established business pattern and being careful at all times to conserve labor cost and control overtimes.
· Makes any attempt to prevent any damage or loss of hotel property and equipment. He is familiar with the proper operation and handling, trains subordinates accordingly.
· He is responsible that all dishes are uniform and that established portion sizes are adhered to.
· Is responsible of the proper handling of food requisitions and transfers
· Is responsible of the cleanliness and sanitary condition of the kitchen area, fridges, storerooms, equipment and utensils at all times
· Attends the daily operation briefing with the Executive Chef, after he briefs his subordinates according the information necessary
· Conducts on the job training sessions with his subordinates
· Controls food cost by following standard recipes, portion control, avoid wastages and overstocking
· He follows and enforces Safety & Health Procedures to prevent staff injuries.
· Takes a professional self interest in constantly maintaining a high standard of food preparation by checking it for taste, temperature and visual appeal
· Makes suggestions to the Executive Chef concerning improvements which would lead to make more satisfied customers and / or increase volume of business or profit.
· Assist the Executive Chef in developing new menus and promotion ideas.
· Works on hours to guaranty the running of a professional sound operation at the highest level of guest satisfaction at all times, which may allocated to him by the Executive Chef.
· He is responsible that HACCP is implemented and strictly followed at all times
· To supervise the orientation of new members of staff
· Checks the daily menu, function sheets, par stock to determine the type and quality of food items to be prepared
· Assist in the ensuring that all deliveries are properly checked and accounted for
· Prepares time schedule of his section and submit to Chef for approval
· To attend to emergency requisitions.
· To check par stock mise-en-place
· Participates to in-house and external staff gatherings and activities
· To ensure cleanliness of all utensils and working area
· To perform other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Executive Pastry Chef from time to time.
· To deal with customer complaints in a courteous and sympathetic fashion and inform Management of every complaint or important observation.
· To consistently provide and maintain the highest standard of guest care and service
· Establishes and maintains effective employee relationships. Assists in solving problems that might arise
· Checks on temperature setting of cold room and reports any discrepancy to Supervisors.
· To be fully familiar with all hotel banquet menu’s
· Ensures that the food displayed is at the correct temperature
· To carry out all duties requested to the satisfaction of the Head Chef
· Supplying all kitchen outlets according to inter-kitchen and inter-department requisitions
· Observes and tastes food when being cooked, ensures that food is prepared according to recipes in classical and culinary manner
· Supervising, co-ordinating and participating in the preparation
· Ensures all the refilling is well presented on the Buffet and maintains the quality
· Ensures that the hotel’s cost control policies and procedures are followed
· Records all recipes in your own recipe book
· To consistently provide and maintain the highest standard of guest care and service
· To familiarize yourself with your departmental service performance & product standards and to be able to demonstrate their application consistently
· To comply with timekeeping and attendance policies
· To adhere at all times to all company, hotel and statutory rules, regulations and policies.
· To maintain a high standard of personal hygiene and grooming at all times
· To carry out any other reasonable tasks requested by your Supervisor or Management, full mobility in all areas of the kitchen will apply.
· To maintain your departmental area in a safe, hygienic and presentable state at all times and to report any damage to furniture, fittings and equipment to your Supervisor.
· To attend any meetings, training sessions or courses that may be beneficial to you and your department on request from your Supervisor/Manager
Demonstrate service attributes in accordance with industry expectations and company standards to include:
· Being attentive to guests
· Accurately and promptly fulfilling guest requests
· Understand and anticipate guest needs
· Maintain a high level of knowledge which will enhance the guest experience
· Demonstrate a service attitude that exceeds expectations
· Take appropriate action to resolve guest complaints
· Appreciate the dynamic nature of the hotel industry and extend these service attributes to all internal customers
· Be able to promote the hotel and InterContinental Hotels Group generally, products and services.
· Maintain a high level of product and service knowledge about all InterContinental Hotels Group hotels in your region
· Ensure known repeat guests, priority members and other VIP's receive special attention
· To have a good knowledge of all hotel facilities and be able to answer guest questions in a quick, polite and helpful manner
· To handle any guest complaints or problems promptly and to ensure that all resolved/unresolved incidents are reported to your Supervisor
Health Safety & Security
· To demonstrate a working knowledge of fire prevention and to follow the hotel evacuation plan on hearing the alarm
· To follow all procedures set up for the protection of the environment within the hotel and grounds
· To act on your responsibilities for Health and Safety at work
· Demonstrate an understanding and an awareness of all policies and procedures relating to Health, Hygiene and Fire Life Safety
· Familiarize yourself with emergency and evacuation procedures
· Ensure all security incidents, accidents and near misses are always logged in a timely manner and brought to the attention of your line manager
· Establish and maintain strict security procedures within your department, especially areas relating to key control, bedroom access and vigilance of the team
· To ensure that reasonable care is taken for health and safety of yourself, other employees, guests and any other persons on the premises.
· To keep your work area tidy and safe and report any hazard, accident, loss or damage to management
· To be aware of trained first-aid personnel on the premises and the location of first aid box
· Comply with the company corporate code of conduct at all times.
· To be security conscious with respect to guest, staff and hotel property/welfare and to report suspicious circumstances to your Supervisor
· To cooperate and communicate with your colleagues, Supervisors and Management to ensure effective departmental team work and high morale.
· Familiarize yourself with the company vision and values which link to our model of desired behaviors that we expect all employees to display.
· Perform other tasks at the level of the role as directed by your line manager in pursuit of the achievement of business goals.
· Desire and ability to improve your knowledge and abilities through on-going training
· Use proper language and appropriate manners when dealing with guests, both in the hotel and during external events and caterings.
· Ability to work as part of a diverse team with colleagues from different viewpoints, cultures and countries
· To attend the hotel orientation program, to read and understand the employee handbook, the job description and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Hotel
Usual Working Hours
· Must be flexible in working hours subject to season and occupancy
· Adapts his/her shifts to hotel needs, may have to work split shifts.
The above is designed to help you in the understanding of your role and is not intended to be a definitive list of your duties, as flexibility in meeting company and guests needs is required by all employees.
Job: Food & Beverage
Requisition ID: MUS001054