IHG Director Sales & Marketing - InterContinental Houston in Houston, Texas
Do you see yourself as a Director of Sales and Marketing for our InterContinental Houston property ?
What's your passion? Whether you're into volunteer work, beach sports or flying kites, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
This exciting role will develop and implement the total sales and marketing strategy of the hotel to ensure that revenue and room night sales goals are achieved; revenue, sales and marketing strategies are set; tactical plans are created and implemented; and that results are monitored and achieved.
At InterContinental Hotels & Resorts® we want our guests to feel special, cosmopolitan and In the Know which means we need you to:
• Be charming by being approachable, having confidence and showing respect.
• Stay in the moment by understanding and anticipating guests’ needs, being attentive and taking ownership
of getting things done.
• Make it memorable by being knowledgeable, sharing stories and showing your style to create moments that make people feel special.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Achieve budgeted revenues and maximize profitability within all areas of responsibility. Drive the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget, the hotel marketing plan and business plan, and financial plans which support the overall objectives of the hotel. Produce monthly reports and sales forecasts.
• Develop hotel-level tactical sales plans and special programs that drive measurable, incremental occupancy, increase average rates, increase business volume during off-peak periods, increase local food and beverage and banquet sales, and enhance the image of the hotel in the local community. Monitor sales activities/performance to ensure actual sales meet or exceed established revenue plan.
• Identify operational problems that impact the effectiveness of marketing activities and overall hotel sales performance and work with appropriate department heads on solutions.
• Analyze current/potential market and sales trends and coordinate all activities to maintain and increase revenue and market share through added business volume and increased rate. Create and develop special events and sales blitzes to showcase the hotel to potential clients.
• Attend trade shows and major market events locally and nationally to promote new business and increase sales for the hotel.
• Recommend and/or initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with Company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
• Create, train, and motivate a sales team that is responsible for developing new accounts, maintaining existing accounts, and implementing sales strategies to achieve revenue goals and maximize profits for the hotel, while maintaining guest satisfaction. Develop and maintain relationships with key clients in order to produce group and/or convention business, to include room sales, food & beverage sales, and catering/banquet services.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include all hotel departments, hotel Executive Committee, and corporate/regional sales group.
• Work closely with key contacts within the city to ensure constant, high-profile exposure of the hotel. Develop and maintain good relationships with officials and representatives of local community groups and companies, and attend out-of-town conventions to generate convention and group business. In coordination with General Manager, serve as hotel representative for media related inquiries and refer sensitive matters to the corporate Public Relations Department if necessary.
• Interact with outside contacts:
o Guests – to ensure their total satisfaction
o Airlines, wholesalers, corporate accounts, travel agencies, ad agencies within local, domestic and international markets – to ensure repeat business, follow up on events and generate new business
o Other contacts as needed (Professional organizations, private clubs, community groups, local media)
• Direct the day-to-day activities of the sales team, plan, organize, and assign work, develop and communicate strategies and goals. Advise staff of formal policies and procedures.
• Direct the scheduling of conventions and/or business group activities at the hotel and coordinate with other hotel-level departments to facilitate services agreed upon by the sales office and prospective clients.
• Review advertising, print and other media for the hotel. Work with advertising agencies, consulting firms and vendors to maximize advertising investments and ensure ads represent brand identity and are appropriate for target audience.
• May serve as “manager on duty” as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
This is the top sales and marketing job in a large full service, luxury, resort, or major flagship hotel with multiple sites and facilities, high volume catering and or convention facilities, and a large number of VIP and special service guests. Typically a large international location with extensive competitive pressure and may operate in all market sectors. May manage a large number of professional level and administrative sales, catering and/or convention employees.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field, and five years total experience in a hospitality or hotel sales and marketing setting, with direct supervisory experience over a sales team, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must speak fluent English. Other languages preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
• Frequently standing up or moving within and outside of the facility
• Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 25 pounds
• Handling objects
• Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
• Reading and writing abilities are utilized often.
• Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
• Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
• Ability to travel to attend workshops, tradeshows, conventions, etc.
• May require a valid Driver’s License.
• May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
Relocation support may be provided for this role
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R133885