IHG Sous Chef - Michael Jordan's Steak House - InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile in Chicago, Illinois
THE JEWEL OF CHICAGO'S MAGNIFICENT MILE InterContinental Chicago is a lot like the city itself; historic but hip, refined but relaxed, cultured but comfortable. A member of Michigan Avenue's architectural elite since 1929, our hotel is within easy reach of Chicago's incomparable museums, stores, theatres and restaurants. Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium and Oak Street Beach are minutes away.
The InterContinental Hotel Group owns, operates and franchise more than 9,000 hotels, 120 million stays per year in nearly 100 countries. Our people lie at the heart of our business - and by bringing your expertise and passion to IHG; you will help us to achieve our goal of creating Great Hotels Guest Love.
The Career Opportunity: Sous Chef
- Supervises, monitors and participates in culinary operations during an assigned shift; includes working stations and expediting as necessary
- Ensuring consistent quality and timeliness of food and the on-going adherence to culinary, safety and sanitation standards
- Opens and/or closes the kitchen, using established checklists
- Guides staff performance through effective use of informal and formal feedback, recognition, coaching & counseling meetings, disciplinary action, annual evaluations, etc.
- Interacts with guests as appropriate through table touches and/or responding to special requests
- Participates in the planning and preparation of weekly specials and/or staff meals
- Participates in the interviewing, hiring and training of new culinary staff; also participates in the on-going training and education of existing culinary staff
- Performs various operational/admin functions such as: conducting line checks, monthly inventories, ordering food and food-related products, participating in pre-shifts, generating prep lists, generating recipe cards and costs, preparing staff schedules, POS/Avero usage, reporting & maintenance, etc.
- Attends various internal/external meetings relating to the operation of the restaurant
- Ensures general maintenance and upkeep of culinary areas, kitchen equipment, and culinary manager offices
- minimum 2 years prior experience at the Supervisor/Kitchen Manager level or above
- prior experience in a fine dining restaurant similar in scope/style
- prior hands-on experience performing the majority of the areas of responsibility described above
- passionate & humble about service
- basic understanding of food and labor costs
- basic math skills
- prior experience with & good working knowledge of POS and/or other restaurant-related systems
- proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to perform job functions with minimal supervision
- Must be a confident individual who is willing to assume responsibility
- Ability to demonstrate high degree of drive and determination
- Adaptive and flexible, team player
- Ability to work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team
- Must have excellent employee relations skills and ability to motivate staff and maintain a cohesive team
- Ability to supervise train and direct employees, giving corrections when needed
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy, and comprehend instructions
- Ability to prioritize, organize, delegate work and follows through while working in a fast paced environment
- Ability to be a clear thinker who remains calm and resolves problems using sound independent judgment
- Ability to work under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines for guests and fellow workers
- Ability to plan and aid in the execution of promotions
- Ability to aid in the transportation of all work equipment and produce pertinent to job
- Ability to move about the outlets/function rooms
- Ability to carry or lift items weighing up to 20 pounds
- Ability to bend, stoop and kneel
What's your passion? Whether you're into sports, shopping or karaoke, at IHG we're interested in YOU. At IHG we employ people who apply the same amount of care and passion to their jobs as they do their hobbies - people who put our guests at the heart of everything they do. And we're looking for more people like this to join our friendly and professional team.
What Do You Get?
In return we'll give you a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people. Most importantly, we'll give you the room to be yourself.
So what's your passion? Do you see yourself as a Sous Chef? Please get in touch and tell us how you could bring your individual skills to IHG.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans
Job: Hotel General Management
Requisition ID: R129289